Monday, July 7, 2014

Contemplation On The Lakefront


“In every walk with nature, one receives more than he seeks.”
-             
                 -     John Muir

I find myself this summer drifting toward the various beaches and lakefronts of Milwaukee. There’s a certain feel about Lake Michigan that makes me think about my past.

A big body of water turns into a big body of, “If only”.

“If only I had worked harder in high school.
 If only I hadn’t engaged in past relationships.
 If only I hadn’t been so passive and allowed anything to deter me from my goals.”

I could go on and on as I stand out on the McKinley Marina piers.




The more I dive into my past though, the more I begin to realize that you can’t go on looking back at the decisions that you once made. You have to use your past mistakes as motivation to never make them again. If it’s true past experiences make you wiser, then I guess I feel like one of the greatest minds in the world.

Looking back on the past should make you understand that we really can’t rely on ourselves for anything. As much as we like to think that we have control, we have to understand that God is solely in charge. Past decisions we can never take back, but starting today you give up the future to God. What a relief it will be that God will have your back, if you offer it to him.

No worries.

Let the body of, “If only,” turn into a reminder of the endless opportunities God has in store for you when you leave everything up to him.






No comments:

Post a Comment