Monday, July 28, 2014

Clarity Moves Through Silence: Reflecting On The Words Of Matthew Kelly


Last Friday I had the awesome opportunity to go and hear Matthew Kelly, a world renowned Catholic motivational speaker and best-selling author at St. Leonard Catholic Church in Muskego, WI. Traveling with the Dynamic Catholic Institute, Matthew Kelly and gifted musician Eliot Morris presented the event, Living Every Day With Passion and Purpose. It was the first time I had heard Matthew Kelly speak in person and it was extremely exciting. He is such a powerful speaker and his love for the church and its people is very clear. You could just sense the energy and excitement through the entire church building.

I really felt that this event came at a perfect time for our Archdiocese, our individual parish communities and especially in my life. Living in a world of intense noise and distraction, a large majority of us, myself included, get so caught up in what the world wants our driving forces and motivations to be, that we lose sight of what we should be focusing on.

 I struggle with this a ton. I want to be the biggest champion for God, but I get so distracted by what the world can offer me instead. I listen to the opinions that the world has of me as a young adult Catholic and before I know it, I am heading down the opposite direction from God. It happens to all of us. It’s hard to be focused and engaged, when you live in constant noise. 

Matthew Kelly brought up the point that, “if we as Catholics want to live with passion and purpose, we need to have personal clarity.” Personal clarity is the ability to know:

Who you are
What you are here for
What matters most in your life
What matters least

It’s a huge challenge to be able to have personal clarity in today’s culture, but God who dwells in the silence of our hearts brings us to where we are supposed to be. Clarity moves through silence in the midst of a world drowning out our passions and desires with noise.

To be more engaged Catholics and more complete human beings, we need to separate our hearts and our minds from the world, and place them in the silence that will bring a sense of wholeness and clear vision.

How do you make time for peace and quiet in your life?


No comments:

Post a Comment