Thursday, July 31, 2014

A Solid Wall Of Brass Against Opposition: Cardinal Harvey's Homily at Cor Jesu



Last night I had the great opportunity to attend Cor Jesu, an Archdiocese of Milwaukee initiative held at  St.Robert Parish in Shorewood, WI. Last night's Mass was a very special occasion with Cardinal James Harvey, Prefect of the Papal Household, presiding at Mass. 

Cardinal Harvey's homily was outstanding and much of what he said spoke directly to my heart. Cardinal Harvey, while quoting Jean Vanier, a Canadian Catholic philosopher, theologian and humanitarian, stated that, " even in our brokenness and uniqueness we can bring people to come know God."

So many times I am convinced that I need to do something big and important in order to attract other people to God. I convince myself that I need to be an intelligent theologian, an extremely generous philanthropist, a brave missionary or an accomplished writer and speaker in order to give God proper glory.

Cardinal Harvey's homily reminded me that I don't need to be anything but myself in order to spread the Gospel. It is a comfort that no matter what intellectual limitations, lack of theological learning, or brokenness that we possess, "God makes us a solid wall of brass against any opposition," and will love us just the way we are. Despite obstacles, we will be able to spread His Good News in very remarkable ways.


To Hear Cardinal Harvey's full homily please visit www.missionmilwaukee.com under "Homilies".

No comments:

Post a Comment